Colloquia on Jan. 27 and Mar. 10, 2015, 12:30 p.m., Buchanan Tower 218
organized by Dr. Kyle Frackman and Dr. Bozena Karwowska
These are some questions to get you thinking in advance of our discussion. Please feel free to bring tests, syllabi, grading criteria, etc. to the discussion.
- How do you assess your students’ learning? Which methods and tools do you use to grade and respond to your students’ work?
- Are there elements of this part of your teaching that you think work really well? not well?
- Which of the following do you use in your courses, and under which circumstances? Quizzes? Exams? Short papers? Research essays? Journal responses? Ungraded assignments?
- Do your students ever ask about the criteria necessary to achieve a certain grade? How do you respond?
- When you grade written work, how do you do it? alphabetically? order of submission? in random order?
Presenters’ Shared Materials
CNES 303A (Bozena Karwowska)
CENS 303B (Uma Kumar)
Assessment and Evaluation (CTLT wiki page)
Rubrics (CTLT wiki page)
Teaching and Learning Resource Portal (wiki page)