Ph.D. in German Studies, 2009, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Graduate Certificate in Advanced Feminist Studies, University of Massachusetts Amherst
M.A. in German Studies, 2004, University of Massachusetts Amherst
B.A. in German Studies, 2001, Hamline University
Originally from Anchorage, Alaska, Dr. Frackman attended Hamline University, graduating with a major in German Studies. For 2001-2002, Dr. Frackman was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship to study in Hamburg, Germany. At UMass Amherst, Dr. Frackman completed graduate studies and a dissertation under the direction of Dr. Susan Cocalis.
Dr. Frackman has received research and travel support from a number of organizations and institutions, including UBC, the Faculty of Arts, the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies, the Nordic Council, the Fulbright Commission, the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the American-Scandinavian Foundation, and the Swedish Institute.
CENS 307 – Witches: Myth & Reality
GERM 510 – Literary History
GERM 521 – Viennese Modernism (German Cultural Studies)
SCAN 332A – Heroes in Nordic Literature and Film (Topics in Scandinavian Studies)
SCAN 411A – Scandinavian Drama & Film
SCAN 412 – The Northern European Epic
SCAN 415 – The World of the Sagas
Courses currently teaching
CENS307 Witches: Myth and Reality Sections
Examination of the cultural, social, and historical construction of the witch in central and northern Europe with comparisons to recent history, current events, and popular culture.
One fine body…
SCAN415 The World of the Sagas (in English) Sections
Scandinavian contributions to medieval and early modern world literature, culture and history.
One fine body…
- 18th- to 20th-century German-language and Scandinavian literature
- East German culture and history
- German and Nordic film
- German-North American immigration
- Gender studies, feminist theory, queer theory
- German, Swedish, Finnish language
- Homosexuality in East Germany
- German-BC, German-Canadian immigration
- Arts on Air, CITR. Nov. 26, 2015.
- KPRI Radio. Nov. 7, 2014. Discussion of the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
- UBC News. “Casting a Long Shadow.” Oct. 27, 2014.
- Press kit accolade/review for film release of Out in East Berlin – Lesbians and Gays in the GDR. Nancy Fishman Film Releasing.
- “Faculty Spotlight: Professor Kyle Frackman.” The Scribe (College of Humanities & Fine Arts Advising Center Newsletter). Dec. 8, 2011. (PDF)
- “Class explores witches’ history.” Springfield Republican Oct. 31, 2011. (PDF)
- “Nightmarish Fantasy and Gruesome History: ‘Witches’ Class Examines Folklore and Fact.” In the Classroom, Amherst College. Oct. 28, 2011.
- “UMass Amherst: Frackman and Arndt-Briggs take part in German exchange.” University of Massachusetts International Relations. July 28, 2010.
- “UMass takes part in a German language immersion program.” Daily Collegian. Oct. 5, 2009.