Graduate Course Work

Neither the M.A. nor the Ph.D. degree is obtained by thesis alone. Each degree requires the completion of courses offered in the respective programs, followed by an examination.

The following are the graduate courses offered by the Department of Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies. The number and content of courses offered vary each year. For courses offered in the current year please consult the Department of CENES course listings.

GERM 500 Introduction to German Studies Research Methods
GERM 501 Literary Theories
GERM 505 The Acquisition of German as an Additional Language
GERM 506 Intercultural Competence
GERM 510 German Literary History
GERM 511 Studies in Medieval Literature
GERM 512 Studies in Renaissance Literature
GERM 513 Studies in Baroque Literature
GERM 514 Studies in the Literature of the 18th Century
GERM 515 Studies in the Classical Period
GERM 516 Studies in Romanticism
GERM 517 Studies in the Literature of the 19th Century
GERM 518 Studies in Expressionism
GERM 519 Studies in the Literature of the Early 20th Century
GERM 520 Studies in Literature after 1945
GERM 521 Topics in Cultural Studies
GERM 522 Topics in Media Studies
GERM 531 Special Topics
GERM 532 Genre Studies
GERM 547 Guided Research
GERM 548 Major Essay
GERM 549 Master's Thesis
GERM 649 Ph.D. Thesis

At the beginning of each academic year students discuss their program of study with the Graduate Advisor. Students may take elective courses in other departments and programs if they are approved by the Graduate Advisor.

Under the terms of the Western Graduate Deans' Agreement, graduate students registered in any of the member institutions (all Western Canadian universities) may take courses at another member institution, if the courses are not offered at UBC. Approval by the Graduate Advisor is mandatory. Registration in these courses is a simple procedure and no additional fees are required.

Work in most courses is graded, and the student must achieve an acceptable level in course work (see Calendar for specifics) in order to remain in the graduate program. Please note: first term 3 credit courses must be completed by no later than December 20th. Failure to complete course work by the deadlines may jeopardize chances of consideration for financial support and may lead to a request to withdraw from the program.

Candidates for the M.A. may study full-time or part-time. Full-time students spend a minimum of one winter session at the University. Part-time study should be arranged with the Graduate Advisor. Unless an extension is pre-approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS), the Master's program must be completed within five years of initial registration.

Candidates for the Ph.D. are expected to spend a minimum of two winter sessions at the University. Unless an extension is pre-approved by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, the doctoral program must be completed within six years of initial registration.

Upon arrival, all incoming students can choose a mentor who will guide them throughout their studies at UBC. The mentor replaces neither the Graduate Advisor nor the supervisor, but helps the student adjust to the department, reach the appropriate level of Graduate Studies, achieve program requirements, meet deadlines, find a supervisor and enter into the profession. An effective graduate student mentor has not completed their task until the student has successfully completed their course work including the examination.

The mentor could be the student’s current or future thesis supervisor, co-supervisor, or referee. All tenure-track faculty members in the Department of CENES can act as mentors.

Students must register at the beginning of their studies, and must remain continuously registered until the completion of their degree.

If a student fails to register for two consecutive terms, they may be required to withdraw from the program.

Please consult the Graduate Advisor and the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies for more information on the regulations and approval process. If you are approved for a formal leave of absence, you do not need to register while you are on leave, but you will be responsible for leave fees. You must register again when your leave is over.